iCloud gives its users access to their photos, videos, music, documents, and contacts through Apple devices like iPod, iPad, and iPhone. You can also backup iPhone on iCloud. iCloud password is used to log into iCloud on your Apple device – in case you see an error message that your account has been disabled, you might want to reset your account password.
It makes file syncing, backups, and sharing much easier. You just have to remember your iCloud account sign-in details to log in when you backup data to the iCloud or restore files from iCloud backup.
However, since you are reading this article now, it’s quite likely that you forgot iCloud password; otherwise, you might remember your iCloud password, but might just want to reset it for security reasons. If your iCloud account is protected by a lock, here is how to remove the icloud lock.
Yes, resetting your password on a regular basis is important to safeguard the privacy of your data stored in the iCloud. Further, your password also secures your ability to remotely erase or locate your gadget with the help of the “Find My iPhone” feature.
With a plethora of online accounts to manage in today’s age of the internet, there are many different passwords that users need to remember for different accounts as it’s not safe to use the same password for all accounts. In such cases, it’s quite common for people to forget some passwords.
If you are experiencing such a situation with your iCloud account, this article aims at enlightening you about how to reset iCloud password. What should you do if you have forgotten your iCloud password? Here are some tips to help.
If you forgot iCloud password for your account, you need not worry as there are many ways to reset it. For instance, if you are a beginner, you can send a recovery mail to your Apple account. The other alternative for all users is to use the secret question method.
Or, there’s the 2-step verification technique. If none of these methods work, you will require a new account for iCloud.
However, you might want to give these iCloud password recovery methods a try before that, as one of these would surely work in a majority of the cases.
Two-Step Verification Method
Use this simple verification technique for a quick iCloud password reset:
- Access the Safari web browser from your gadget and type ‘iforgot.apple.com’ in the bar.
- Next, you will get options as: ‘Enter your Apple ID’ or ‘Forgot Apple ID’. Choose the first option. Enter the email address and select ‘Next’ from the right-hand side top corner.
- Type the recovery code provided. Choose ‘Next’ from the top right corner. Apple would have given the verification key for your device.
- Confirm your identity using a reliable Apple gadget and choose ‘Next’ from the top right.
- Type the verification key and choose ‘Next’.
- Select a new password. Once it is reset, you’ll get a confirmation from Apple about iCloud reset password.
If this method works for you, then your work is done. If not, try the email recovery technique.
Recovery Email Method In Case You Forgot iCloud Password
Here’s the simple way of recovering your iCloud password using recovery email.
- Access the Safari web browser from your Apple gadget and type ‘iforgot.apple.com’ in the bar.
- Choose ‘Enter your Apple ID’ from the options that you get next.
- Type your Apple ID and choose ‘Reset by Mail’ option from the password reset choices.
- You’ll get a popup that says ‘The email will be sent’. Check your Apple ID for the recovery email and follow the steps in the mail to complete the iCloud password reset process.
If you’re not able to access your mail, move on to the secret question method, in order to reset your iCloud password.
Secret Question Method
It’s easy to change iCloud password using the secret questions related to your account. Read on to find out how to do it.
- Go to the Safari browser and type ‘iforgot.apple.com’ in the bar.
- As mentioned earlier, choose the option ‘Enter your Apple ID’.
- After typing the email address, select ‘Next’ from the top right corner.
- If you aren’t able to access email, choose the option ‘Answer Security Questions’.
- Now you’ll be prompted to confirm your date of birth to proceed.
- Answer all the questions and choose ‘Next’.
- Select your new password.
Presto!! You’re now done with resetting your iCloud password.
If you use the iCloud account with a mail application apart from the Mail on a Mac, on iCloud.com or an iOS device, you need to reset your password in the other app also.
If you’ve set up your iCloud account on your handheld device like iPod, iPad, or iPhone, ensure to have a passcode lock for enhanced security so that it isn’t accessed by others.
Try the most appropriate method of iCloud password recovery based on your situation to regain access to your account quickly.
What If All the Above Methods Fail?
If all these techniques fail to help you with resetting your iCloud password, you may have to create a new iCloud account by following these steps.
- Go to Settings > iCloud > Get a free Apple ID. Key in your date of birth details and click on ‘Next’ at the right top.
- Opt to create a new account and click on ‘Next’.
- Choose the details if you’ve created a new email for your iCloud account and choose ‘Next’.
- Click on ‘Create’.
- If you are using an existing email ID, check your inbox and confirm your account.
- Select a new Apple ID and iCloud password.
You’re now done with creating a new account. Ensure that you use a hard-to-guess alphanumeric password, but make sure that you remember it so that you need not have to go through the entire process of resetting your iCloud password again or look around how to change iCloud password again. If due to any reason, you wanted to delete iCloud account, here is steps explaining to you how to delete iCloud account.
And, don’t forget to enter your backup email ID and phone number to ensure easier recovery of password next time around; otherwise, you might get into the same vicious circle of doing the running around to regain the access to your iCloud account.