In this era of hustle and bustle, where we are trapped in the web of sedentary lifestyles, using a laptop is a part of the daily routine, for most of us. Without the internet for a single second, life comes to a halt.
The keyboard is one of the fundamental peripherals in any laptop. Due to their extended use, they tend to become dirty. Stuck keys and repeated characters during typing are some of the problems that occur due to an inefficient cleaning of keyboards. Thus, a cleaning ritual becomes important.
Cleaning not only improvises the product but also increases its shelf life. How to clean a keyboard is a question most people kingpin upon.
How to clean a keyboard?
#1. Normal Clean-up
Starting from your furniture to your wardrobe to that laptop, everything needs a general day to day cleaning. Following points should be noted as an answer to how to clean laptop keyboard:
1. Unplug the keyboard- The most important part before initiating the cleaning process is to unplug your keyboard. A connected keyboard while cleaning can damage the machine.
2. Removing Dust- Use a small soft-bristled dusting brush, on a regular basis to remove that unpleasant dust. Hose attachment of a vacuum cleaner is a handy technique to remove the more caked-on dust.
3. Compressed Air- One of the easiest methods is to turn the keyboard upside down. Then use a can of compressed air to blow out any extra dust.
4. Remove the keys- For that extra edged and thorough cleaning, remove all the keys with the help of a small screwdriver. Take a clean cloth and gently swab all the surfaces to remove that dust.
A gentle day to day cleaning is highly recommended for that enhanced and smooth usage. There is no better way than regular cleaning to maintain the product.
#2. Pencil Eraser to Remove Food Particles
Foodstuff, stuck under the keys and make the keyboard feel mushy and greasy while typing. The best way to tackle this issue is by popping up the keys and using a can of compressed air to clean up everything underneath.
However, the secret trick is to use a pencil eraser to peel off the dirt. Be extra cautious while using this method as eraser-dust can fall back on the keyboard.
How to Clean Laptop Keyboard with Soapy Water
If you are exhausted trying each of the above methods of how to clean keyboard, and none is working out, then this comes as a sure shot savior. Following is the process:
1. First of all, switch off the machine and disconnect the keyboard.
2. Turn the keyboard upside down and remove all the keys.
3. Take a soft toothbrush and wet it with a little bit of alcohol.
4. Side by, fill a bowl with cold soapy water.
5. Dump the keys into the soapy water and scrub slowly with the toothbrush.
6. Lastly, rinse them under cold running water and leave them to dry.
7. Once they dry, reassemble your keyboard.
Germs on the Keyboard
Cleaning is very important to kill germs, bacteria, and viruses. Dust assemble on a keyboard and produce disease-inducing germs, which ultimately transfers to the human body via hands. Thus, wipe them off with a little alcohol. Avoid products containing higher concentrations of alcohol.
Use a little alcohol solution to scrub those keys on the keyboard. Do not pour in much and use it carefully. It is preferable to use isopropyl alcohol. Do not use disinfectant sprays, due to their intense nature.
Accidental Spills on Keyboard
Any accidental spill of a liquid can destroy the machine and make the keys really sticky. The easiest way in such a situation is to pop off the keys for the thorough cleaning of the keyboard.
However, in case of any accidental spillage on the keys, one can even use a paper towel to dump out any excess liquid. One of the best remedies, in this case, is to leave it upside down, for as long as possible. Clean it gently and do not use too much force.
You can even use a butter knife to pull out the keys of the keyboard from one side. In most cases, a fingernail is enough to pull the plastic up. Just be extra careful while doing it via fingernail.
Butter Knife and J- Cloth
Using a butter knife, a j-cloth, and an all-purpose cleaner is a simple answer for how to clean a keyboard. Following is the way:
1. Put it in cloth- Take a j-cloth and wrap the blade of the butter knife in it, ensuring the cloth is as tight as possible.
2. All-purpose cleaner- Soak this cloth in the all-purpose cleaner.
3. Scratch the bits- With a gentle force, place the knife in between the keys of your keyboard and scratch the dust.
4. Repeat the process- Again soak the cloth in the all-purpose cleaner and reapply the process.Keep on repeating this process until the laptop keyboard is duly cleaned.
Use the Dishwasher
Some people swear by this remedy as an answer to how to clean a laptop keyboard. A lot of waterproof keyboards are available that can survive the dishwasher. Just throw in the keyboard and let the larger machine do its thing.
However, cleaning a mechanical keyboard through the dishwasher is not at all recommended at any cost. Adding to the discomfort, it takes several days to dry, thus interrupting the work.
Cleaning the keyboard on a regular basis is recommended rather than a full, deep clean as dirt and grime can interfere with the moving pieces. It increases the shelf life of the keyboard. Follow these simple techniques and make the process of how to clean a keyboard trouble-free.
Invest in a good quality keyboard and don’t go for a cheap one, as it exposes one to the danger of electronic circuitry.
A lot of readymade keyboard cleaners are available in the market to ease out the whole process. Show some care and enjoy the enhanced usage of your keyboard!