There is no doubt that iCloud is one of the main features of Apple devices nowadays, with iOS device users using it to store all their stuff like purchases, app data, music device settings and what not. There are instances when we download an app and then realise it is useless and want to delete it. It also happens that some apps downloaded earlier are of no use anymore. In all such cases, you would want to know how to delete apps from iCloud.
iCloud gives a certain storage bandwidth to each of its users. If you are not aware of how to manage iCloud or how to clear iCloud storage, then you will create a problem for yourself. If your storage space is full since you don’t know how to delete stuff from iCloud, new photos and videos won’t upload to iCloud Photo Library and your devices will stop backing up to iCloud.
One more convenient feature is that iCloud-enabled apps are updated across your Apple devices. This feature will not work if the iCloud drive is full; so, learning how to delete things from iCloud is a must.
You need to manage your iCloud drive well by deleting backups and documents you don’t need. One thing that takes a lot of space is photos, so you need to delete photos from iCloud and email messages that you no longer need.
See Also: How to Hide Photos on iPhone?
Before learning how to delete data from iCloud, it is essential to know how much iCloud storage is available in your account. If you are aware of it, then you can make a judicious decision. Whether you are using iPhone, iPod, iPad or Mac, it is very easy to find the iCloud storage assigned to you.
Following Steps for How to Delete Apps from iCloud
- For iPhone, iPad, or iPod, if you are using iOS8 or later, tap Settings >iCloud> Storage > Manage Storage.
- Don’t worry even if you’re using an earlier version of iOS. All you need to do differently is to tap Storage and backup instead of Manage storage. So, tap Settings >iCloud> Storage & Backup.
- For Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences; click iCloud and then click Manage.
- On your PC, open iCloud for Windows and then click Manage.
This will tell you the storage you have on the iCloud drive. So, the first step is over. Now you need to learn how to delete unnecessary stuff from there. Good practice will be to archive or make copies of iCloud data before deleting. This will help you in case you mistakenly deleted something important.
See Also: How to Turn Off iPhone, iPad, and iPod?
A common notion among the users is that iCloud stores a user’s purchase, which is not right. The truth is that iCloud actually keeps a list of all of the apps that you have downloaded or purchased. So, whenever you need them again, it re-downloads them to iTunes or straight onto your device anytime you want. iCloud just displays the list of the apps purchased or downloaded and links each item to the corresponding actual app on the App Store.
iCloud just displays the list of the apps purchased or downloaded and links each item to the corresponding actual app on the App Store.
This simply means that no matter how many apps you have they don’t take up any space on the iCloud account. But still, if you want to delete them from the list on the cloud then you are in for a disappointment as Apple doesn’t allow that. But it allows hiding them, which is as good as gone.
You can follow these steps to hide the unwanted apps from your iCloud list.
Step 1: On iOS device, go to App Store > Updates > Purchased.
Step 2: On your Mac or Windows PC, open iTunes and enter the iTunes Store. Click on Purchased on the right side of the window.
Step 3: Now, click on Apps at the top of the window. A list of all purchased and downloaded apps will appear. Take the pointer on the app you want to hide.
Step 4: An “X” will appear at the top left corner of the app’s icon. Click on it to hide the app. Repeat this with all the apps you want to hide.
Step 5: Depending upon what iOS you are using, there is a slight difference. For iOS device up until iOS 6, if you head again to App Store > Updates > Purchased, you will find that the app you hid is gone. If you have iOS 7, then it will still show up in your Purchase History. So, you need to head to Settings > iTunes & App Store. There, tap on your Apple ID and sign out of it for it to not show up on the list.
Backups are an integral part, and many apps automatically back up to iCloud after you install them. Speaking, whenever you back up your iOS device to the iCloud all your data, including documents, photos and videos, are backed up automatically. So, you need to know how to select which iOS apps to back up and how to delete iCloud backup for those, which are unnecessary.
For iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, follow these steps.
- Tap Settings >iCloud. If you are using iOS 8 or later versions, tap Storage > Manage Storage. For any earlier version, tap Storage & Backup > Manage Storage.
- Tap the name of your iOS device.
- Under Backup Options, turn off all apps that you don’t want to back up. When prompted to confirm, choose Turn Off& Delete to turn off backup for that app and remove all of its data from iCloud.
For OS X,
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences and then click iCloud.
- Click Manage and select Backups.
- Select one of the device backups and click Delete. When you’re asked to confirm, choose ‘Delete’ if you want to turn off Backup and remove all backups for that device from iCloud. When you delete a backup, it also turns off backup of your device.
See Also: How to Get Paid Apps for Free for iPhone
If still, you are not sure whether you did the right thing by deleting the backup then you need not worry as iCloud backups are available for 180 days after you disable or stop using iCloud Backup.
Now that you know how to delete apps from iCloud and all stuff related to backup, you can manage the iCloud drive better and to full potential.