Mail Merge is an advanced feature of MS Word. Most of us know how to send a personalized email to a person but when it comes to sending the same email to multiple people with a slight difference, won’t you get confused??
This is where word mail merge get’s the spotlight. The mail merge in the word is a very powerful tool which lets you create a personalized letter and send it to thousands of people all at the same time.
Similarly, you can create the mail merge labels and envelopes with the same tool.
So if you are inattentive of the features offered by mail merge, stay tuned, we have got a detailed guide on everything about mail merge from what is a mail merge to how to use mail merge.
Excited to learn how to mail merge?? Well, what are we waiting for, let’s learn how to do a mail merge!
How To Mail Merge:
Many people over the web keep seeking proper knowledge about how to do a mail merge. Mail merge might sound new to many but merging emails via mail merge is extremely easy.
Before going into the in-depth steps on learning how to do mail merge, let’s have a quick look at what is mail merge, it’s functionality, how to do a mail merge in word and everything in between.
What is mail merge??
Mail merge is a powerful tool and a great time-saver which lets you write and send personalized emails or letters to many people at the same time. It also helps you create labels and envelopes with the different recipient’s information on each envelope.
The working of the mail merge is simple. It uses the main document which contains common fields to be sent to the users and a source file which is basically an excel workbook or the list of information about the users including the name of the recipients, their addresses, contacts, etc.
The mail merges tool imports data from the excel sheets or access database and uses them as the recipient’s information. This is just an overview of the working of mail merge. In the below guide, I’ll walk you through the exact step by step guide on mail merge. Also, the steps on how to mail merge labels.
How to use mail merge:
The below steps will tell you how to use mail merge to send documents to many people all at the same time.
Step 1. First of all, open MS office on your computer. Now type a new letter or document you want to send to multiple people using an existing database of the recipients’ information. Or you can also use the existing documents for the same.
Step 2. Now to begin the process, click on the Mailings tab in the toolbar and then select Start Mail Merge option and select Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard from the drop-down menu.
Step 3. The Step by step mail merge wizard will guide you through the 6 main steps involved in the mail merge. All you need to do is to follow all the steps carefully and get the mail merge done.
Although the help panel is enough to tell you how to mail merge exactly, we have mentioned all the steps on our own to avoid any kinda confusion.
The 6 steps you’ll encounter in the whole process of mail merge is given below.
1.. The first step is to select the document type whether it is a letter, envelope or other. Once done, click on the Next: Starting document link below. See the below screenshot if you didn’t get what I mean.
2. Now select the starting document. If you have a letter written there, select Use the current document or you can also use the ready to use template offered by word. For this, select the second option that is Start from a template. Or choose the third option Start from the existing document if you have a file saved on your computer and open it.
Once done, click Next: Select recipients and go to the third step.
3. To select the recipients, you can use the existing list on your computer or can create a new one. If you already have an excel sheet or access database, navigate through it and click on Open.
The very next moment, Mail Merge Recipients dialog box will appear showing all the contacts with a checkbox next to it.
You can check or uncheck any person to select/deselect accordingly to control which person should be getting the mail.
Once you are done, click on Ok, select Next: Write your letter and move to step 4.
4. In this step, you need to write your letter if you have not done it so far and add an address block, greeting line or some other information. Just place the cursor on your letter where you would like to add information and select the item, select the template, see the preview and click on ok.
You can add more than one items in this step. Once done, move to the 5th step.
5. In this step, you can preview your letter. Use the arrow highlighted in the below screenshot to see how each recipient will receive the letter, you can modify specific letter if you want.
Once you are ok with everything, it’s time to go to the final step which is complete the merge.
6. In the final step, you don’t need to do anything but print the letters. In the print dialogue, do the appropriate settings and just click on Print and all your letters will be printed.
That’s it, doing mail merge is that simple. It is a simple yet very useful feature offered by Microsoft. If used properly, it comes out to be very handy and helps you save lots of your time and efforts while sending similar mail to multi people.
Sending emails manually to many people can be really effort taking. Use mail merge and enjoy the ease of work.
After reading the guide, if you still have any doubt regarding how to mail merge, feel free to put your query in the comment section below.
And if the guide was helpful to you, don’t forget to mention that too in the comment section!!