If you want to know how to transfer a domain name to another person? or to be more specific on how to transfer a domain name then you are at the right place.
So, without wasting any time further, let’s get started:
How to transfer a domain name?
Since Godaddy is one of the biggest domain registrars in this sphere. So, we will first see how to transfer a domain name to Godaddy from another registrar and how to transfer ownership of a domain name?
We have used Godaddy for illustration purposes. You will be glad to know that almost all the processes are pretty much the same for other registrars also. You just need to understand the basic concept. This way you will easily be able to transfer domains to any registrar.
So, let’s get started:
There are a few things that you should keep in your mind before proceeding forward and those are:
1) This method will work only if your domain extension is .com, .org or .net only. If you have any top-level domain (TLD’s) like .biz, .fr or others, then you will have to follow other methods.
2) Domain name transfer may take some time. So, your patience is much needed.
3) In general, you are not allowed to transfer your domain in the first 60 days time period starting from the date you purchased the domain. You are not able to update your contact information, first or last name of the registrant.
There are eight steps in the process. Some of the steps are quick and straightforward. So, let’s get started with the same:
The first four steps may be called preliminary or preparation steps which ensure the smooth domain transferring processes.
1) In this first step, you need to make sure that the domain which you are to transfer to your Godaddy account is not privately registered. Make sure to check this one.
2) In the second step, you need to unmark your domain name from your current registrar.
3) In this step, you need to visit whois.icann.org to ensure and verify that the contact information which you have provided is correct or not. Also, check that if your domain name is eligible for transfer or not.
4) In this final preparation step, you need to get an authorization or EPP code from your current registrar.
With these preliminary preparation steps, your domain name is now ready for the actual domain transfer process and this you will have to look for our next four phases. These four stages will be the one which will contribute to the domain transfer process.
5) In this step, you will have to purchase a domain name transfer from Godaddy.
6) Now, you will have to wait for the email from Godaddy that will contain two purchase codes. We will make use of the codes in the later part of this transfer process.
7) Now, you will have to use the authorization or the EPP code which you have managed to get in step 4 of the preparation part. You need to enter the EPP code along with the two purchase codes which you have got through the Godaddy mail in the previous step. This will approve the domain name transfer.
Once done with this, you are just a step away from transferring the domain name to GoDaddy.
8) This final step is concerned with monitoring the status of your domain transfer process.
It is advised to be patient because the transfer process may take up to seven business days starting from the date on which you entered the approval codes.
Once the transfer is complete, Godaddy will make you aware of the same. Also, you may face some downtime. So, do not panic and be patient.
The steps are pretty much the same. But for the sake of convenience lets have a quick glance over the process once again.
1) Check your administrative contact information. You may also need to cancel your protected registration or private registration service.
2) Now, you will need to unlock your domain name from the Godaddy administrative dashboard. Just do the required and proceed with the next steps.
3) You need to get an authorization code from Godaddy which you will need on a later part of the process. Some of the registrars do not require this. So, make a check for the prerequisites.
4) Now, you need to authorize the domain name transfer process on your new domain registrar.
5) The registry will notify the Godaddy system, and they will mail you with further instructions. You only need to follow the onscreen instructions as it will do the needful for you.
Kindly take note that, if somehow you do not accept or deny the transfer request then Godaddy will automatically transfer the domain name within five days. Kindly, pay heed to this and take appropriate actions.
6) The registry will also notify your new registrar about the transfer.
7) Once the transfer is complete, you will be informed by email. As we have already told you that domain transfer between registrars may take up to seven working days. So, your patience is much needed.
Here are some quick tips for you regarding how to transfer a domain name to another registrar?
1) Make sure that you are equipped with any alternative email ID as you are more likely to lose the access email service in correspondence to your domain name.
2) As we have already mentioned that you are not allowed to transfer the domain name within the first 60 days either from the purchase date or the transfer date. So, make sure to pay heed to this.
3) Make sure to read the support pages of your new registrar and in any case of haphazard, feel free to reach them via the customer support.
So, this was all about how to transfer a domain name? Do we hope that by making use of the information provided here, you will be able to know How to transfer a domain name to someone else?
If you are aware of any methods apart from this, then do let us know through the comments section below. Moreover, if you liked this article on “How to transfer a domain name?” Then do share it socially.
Thank you for crossing by and giving it an enjoyable read.