Microsoft Excel is a part of the Microsoft Office suite software program which is basically used to create spreadsheets and result sheets etc.
Microsoft Excel provides many features. Along with creating spreadsheets, documents, and result sheets, it also provides the facility to password protect excel.
Yes, If you have some private data that you don’t prefer to share with others, you can secure them with a password. Since the excel program is used so frequently for budgeting and planning, financial records, etc, it is necessary for you to learn how to password protect an excel file.
So, let’s get started with our guide i.e how to lock an excel file. In this tutorial, we will see the method to password protect excel files and the spreadsheet program.
How to Password Protect Excel?
The method of protecting sheets with passwords should be almost the same in all excel programs.
We will be covering here Microsoft office 2007. Since I am a user of MS excel 2007 user, the screenshots I will be providing would be from the same.
Simply follow the below steps and learn to protect an excel file with a password.
Step 1: First of all, launch the excel program on your system. And open the file you want to protect with the password. To open a file click on the Open icon from the office button. Browse through the file and then click the OK button.
If you want to create a fresh file and want to protect that with the password, click on the New from the office button. Create the file and follow the next step.
Step 2: After opening the file, go to the Review tab from the menu bar.
Step 3: In the review tab, you will see various options like protect the sheet, protect the workbook, and many other. You will have to click on Protect Workbook option.
Step 4: When you click on the protect workbook option, a small drop-down will open up. Click on the first option that is to protect the structure and windows. As sooner you click on the option, you will see a screen like an image I have mentioned below.
Step 5: As you can see in the above image, there are basically two options. One is structure and the other one is windows. Before moving further, make sure you check the structure option if it is not already checked.
And also check the second option i.e windows, if you have also set up specific windows within the file.
Now simply provide a password in the given text field. And click on Ok. Check out the image mentioned below.
As sooner you click on Ok, you will see a new confirmation dialogue box. Where you will have to re-enter the password and click on Ok again. That is all. You are done.
This is how we can protect our workbook and prevent them from others. This was the method that is mostly used to protect the workbook and the spreadsheet.
But there is another short method too, to secure the sheets with the password. I have mentioned the step-by-step guide below. Check that out.
Step 1: First of all open the excel program and sheet you want to protect.
Step 2: Once the sheet is open, right-click on the worksheet tab. When you right-click on the sheet tab you will see various options. See the image below. In the list of options, you have to click on the protect sheet.
Step 3: As soon as you click on the protect sheet option you will see a small screen just like I have mentioned below.
Here, all you have to do is, enter the password in the provided password field.
You can also select the options by checking them to allow the users of your worksheet to perform. Once done, click on Ok.
Remember if you leave all the options unchecked, users would only be able to view the excel file.
Now confirm the password by re-entering the same password and click on Ok again. And you are done. Your worksheet is protected now.
You can unprotect the workbook any time you want. To do so repeat the same process that is to right-click on the sheet tab and click on the Unprotect sheet.
When you click on the unprotect sheet option, you will be asked to enter the password. Enter the password and click Ok.
This is how you can protect and unprotect the excel file or the documents. Now let’s check out adding the encryption in Excel 2007
How to Add Encryption in Excel?
Step 1: Open the Excel program and click on the office button from the top left corner of the screen. After clicking on the office button, you will see various options. Click on Prepare.
Step 2: Now select the Encrypt Document from the list of options appearing. As sooner you click on the Encrypt Document you will see a new dialogue box called Encrypt Document. Enter the password in the text box and click on Ok.
Step 3: Once you are done, entering the password, click on the save from the office button to save all the changes you did. Now whenever you feel the need of opening the document from now on, you will require this password.
If you want to remove the encryption from the specific file, click on the office button and then click on the save as option. After clicking on the save as window, you will have to click on the Tools option.
After clicking on the Tools, you will see a drop-down list, click on General options.
After clicking on the general options, a dialogue box will pop up. Enter the password to remove it from the excel file. And click on Ok. That’s all. Now save the changes by clicking on the save file.
Password Protect the Entire Workbook
Using a password for the Excel file helps to prevent others from accessing the workbook. The function, Save As can be used to protect the Excel File via a password. Let’s have a look at how:
- Open the workbook for which you want to set a password.
- Go to File, click Save As and a dialog box appears. Click on the option Tools and from the drop-down list, select General Options.
- A text box appears, demanding the password. Enter your password in the Password to open a text box, click the OK button and then confirm the password again.
- To complete, click Save to save the workbook with its password. With this, the password starts functioning. So, next time when you open the workbook, you need to enter the password to proceed.
However, in case you want to make the Workbook accessible to others only in the read-mode, i.e. they cannot apply any modifications, set a password in the Password to modify the text box, instead of a Password to open the text box.
There is one other method to password-protect the entire sheet or workbook. Take a look at the steps:
- Go to the Review tab and then click on Protect Sheet or Protect Workbook.
- Now, if you click on Protect Sheet, a pop-up window appears on the screen. Just select the desired options and type in the desired password.
- And if you click on Protect Workbook, straight away a dialog box appears seeking a password, which is optional to fill. But, it is preferable that you set the password for security concerns.
Password protect excel with Info Command
In order to avoid people tampering with your data, securing the Excel workbook with a password comes elemental. You can encrypt the entire file with a password to safeguard your document.
Let’s have a look at how to set a password in excel, using the Info command:
- Open the Workbook, for which you want to set the password.
- Click on File. Choose the options: Info > Protect Workbook > Encrypt with Password. You can also select the Restrict Editing option to limit other users from making any edits to the document.
- Type a password in the Password text field and click OK.
- Type a password again in the Re-enter password text field and click OK. You will see the Protect Workbook icon turns Yellow.
- To complete, click on Save.
Opening Password Protected Excel File
Now, if you remember the password, you can simply punch in the password and open your Excel file. The difficulty arises when you have forgotten your Excel password.
Many times, a situation arises when a person is stuck with an XLS file with a password that needs to be cracked.
But, don’t worry, every problem comes with a solution. Let’s have a look at How to open Password Protected Excel File:
- Go to the Review tab and click on the “Show Ink” option.
- Now, Press ALT + F11. You will see VBA opens up.
- In the VBA, double-click the sheet you need to unlock from the menu listing on the left.
- This will open the general declarations page of the sheet. Now in this sheet, simply insert the code written below. Just copy and paste, do not modify.
- How to Reset Wifi Password
- LeadDyno Review: Is It Worth Your Money?
- TubeBuddy Review – Is it the Growth YouTube Marketing Platform?
This is how we password protects excel files and unprotect them. I hope the guide provided by us will help you to make your workbook secure. If you face any difficulty in following the steps, you can as them by dropping the comment in the comment section.